- 1.5 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon, to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, half of the cider vinegar, horseradish, black pepper, salt, mustard powder, and cayenne pepper.
- Whisk in rest of cider vinegar to get the correct consistency.
- Whisk in lemon juice to taste. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
The purpose of this sauce is to provide an alternative to those who don’t like blue cheese but need a dip to cut the heat.Even though the original recipe is pretty traditional, I thought it was too thin for my taste. Also not flavorful enough. So I decreased the mayo/vinegar to spices ratio. I want this more of a dip than a ‘sauce.’Original Recipe